Thank you for your interest in the Intern Program at Island Marine Institute.
The research department of Island Marine Institute is offering 4-6 volunteer (non-salaried) internship positions for students and graduates who are interested in improving their skills and knowledge regarding marine mammal science.
Requirements - Our vessels are U.S. registered, therefore, all interns must be able to legally work in the United States.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Interns are responsible for their own housing.
- The applicant must be able to work a minimum of 4 months in autumn, winter and spring). For example: December-April or January-May.
- A minimum commitment of 24 hours per week are required (3 8-hour days).
- Applicants should be working toward a career in marine mammal biology, zoology, marine biology, or a related field.
- Computer experience, familiarity with scientific literature and reference library; and public speaking experience desired.
- If an intern intends to receive university credit for this internship program, they are responsible for enrollment and appropriate documentation.
Experience in one of the following is a plus:
- Data Entry
- Photo Identification
- Adobe PhotoShop®
- Computer Graphics
- Website Design
- Sonar or
- Being a Certified Diver
All applicants will be reviewed by the research department supervisor. Criteria for evaluating intern applications include:
- Previous experience of the intern in relation to potential project;
- Demonstrated responsibility, motivation and interest of the intern.
Please do not send information or application via email.